From a Shrimp, Kale and Quinoa Bake to Chocolate Swirled Banana Bread. That’s quite a reversal. Well, I gotta have some chocolate now and then. This is over the top with the mini chocolate chips throughout and the swirled chocolate topping. Using very ripe bananas imparts some serious banana flavor. What’s better than chocolate and bananas together? I love having oatmeal in the morning with bananas, chocolate chips, coconut oil and flax seed. So yummy. Or how about a protein smoothie with frozen bananas and chocolate protein powder? That’s a match made in heaven.
Let me be honest though, this bread is extremely decadent. It’s more of a dessert than a breakfast because we all know starting your day with this may cause a big crash and burn later in the morning. So have a small piece after a healthy dinner or make it for a special party or dear friend. Just don’t leave it out on the counter or you might do what I did and eat little pieces throughout the day. After all, calories consumed while standing don’t count! Interesting tidbit for you: A great way to get yourself to stop eating mindlessly? Put all “extra” food you eat for an entire day in a Ziploc bag. You know what I’m talking about: Crust of kid’s sandwiches, leftover chicken nuggets, pieces of banana bread. You might be surprised by how many extra calories that adds up to.
Make some today. Make it for your hubby, your parents, your kid’s teachers or your postal carrier. Just make sure you get one piece!
Chocolate Swirled Banana Bread
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 ripe bananas mashed well with the back of a fork
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips I use Enjoy Life mini chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the oil and sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix in the bananas, eggs, water and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir into egg mixture.
- In a small bowl mix 1 cup chocolate chips with 1 tbsp flour. Stir into batter.
- Pour batter into two 9 x 5 bread pans.
- Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips in the microwave just until melted. Pour half of mixture on top of one loaf of batter and swirl with a butter knife. Repeat with other loaf of bread.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe in Better Homes and Garden magazine.
Didn’t satisfy your chocolate cravings? Then try Nutella Puffs or this Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie (with a secret ingredient). Need to stay gluten free? Then try this recipe for Gluten Free Doughnuts.