This dip is so easy and delicious you may find yourself making it more often than you should. How cute is that pumpkin serving bowl?
I may have to change the tagline on my blog…it says healthy. This dip definitely does not fit into that category. Let’s go with the mantra “everything in moderation” and carry on. My husband calls this crack dip if that gives you any indication of how tasty it is.
It’s nothing new, but I added a few twists. Sausage makes it even heartier and putting it in a pumpkin makes it gorgeous! Take it to the neighborhood Halloween party or serve it with wine while the trick-or-treaters come. The parents will be glad you did. You need a strong tortilla chip or cracker on the side to hold the weight of all that cheese.
The original Velveeta recipe can be found here.
With only three ingredients, it’s super easy to prepare and can be melted in the microwave. Yes, I did use Velveeta; can you tell I feel guilty about that? Do not, I repeat, do not look at the long ingredient list. It’s okay just this once. It’s not like you eat it every night, right? If you do, I won’t tell.
Velveeta + prepared salsa + cooked sausage = crack dip
The pumpkin serving bowl is super easy to prep. Just cut the top off, more than you would for a jack-o-lantern since you are trying to make a bowl. Scoop out all the yucky insides and line the pumpkin with plastic wrap or foil. The best would be if you had a bowl that you could nestle inside. That did not happen for me. This recipe makes a good amount of dip so it may not all fit in your pumpkin bowl.
You can serve a bunch of other foods in a pumpkin bowl. Here are some fun ideas…
- Pumpkin Soup from the Pioneer Woman
- Baked Stuffed Pumpkin from County Living
- Party Pumpkin from Lauren Conrad
- White Bean and Sausage Stew from Martha Stewart
So get on it! Carve out that pumpkin and make the cutest bowl ever. Fill it with this dip and take it to your next fall party. Happy Halloween!
Queso Dip with Sausage
- 1 lb Velveeta cut into cubes
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa I used chipotle to spice it up
- 1 lb of sausage I used chorizo
- Saute sausage until done, crumbling into small pieces.
- Place all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and cook until melted. I retained a bit of sausage for garnish. Stop and stir frequently.
- This dip must be served immediately. It does not do well when allowed to cool.
- Depending on the size of your pumpkin you may or may not be able to fit all of this in.