Two Bite Christmas Crostini makes the perfect appetizer that can be adapted to any taste buds.
I love Christmas party time! Cocktail parties are my favorite and I host an annual yankee swap. Each guest brings a fun gift and we
swap steal. This is not a white elephant gift exchange. We do not bring stick on mustaches, flask ties or bacon scarves. We are serious gift givers.
Cocktails parties are especially fun because I can serve a variety of bites but don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen slaving to make a four course dinner. I love the creativity and variety that comes with appetizers.
Cocktail parties are easy when you prep ahead. My goal is to answer the door with drink in hand, ready to relax. We will not rewind to last year when I was frantically cooking during the party. Afterward, I realized I didn’t even talk to everyone! That will not happen again…plan…plan…plan…
This year I wanted to try two bite crostinis in Christmas colors. Ladies are notorious for not eating much so these are the perfect size. They are topped with healthy seasonal goodies. What could be better?
Did I mention, they couldn’t be easier to make? The toasts can be made the morning of the party and stored in ziplock bags. The toppings can be done last minute once you are all glammed up for the party. They don’t have to be warm but if you wanted to do a quick reheat of the toasts that is okay too.
Do you know the difference between bruschetta and crostini? Bruschetta is made with whole, wide slices of sourdough or rustic Italian bread while crostini is made from a baguette. Each crostini “little toast” is a vehicle for tons of seasonal flavor.
I had a hard time choosing toppings from my long list of red and green seasonal ingredients but I have tasted these and they are delicious. The raspberry is my favorite. Other toppings include pomegranate arils, sugared cranberries, strawberries, grape tomatoes, pesto, sautéed spinach, peas or green olives. I could go on and on but trust me, I’ll be making more of these.
I realize that raspberries are a bit of a cheat. They aren’t exactly in season this time of year but I found such a beautiful bunch at the store that I could not resist. The colors are seasonal!
Two Bite Christmas Crostini
- 1 baguette
- olive oil
- 1 log goat cheese
- Kale Crostini:
- 2 cups kale stems removed
- 1/4 cup cubed pancetta
- Raspberry Crostini:
- 1 cup raspberries partially mashed with the back of fork
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- mint leaves for garnish
- Fig Crostini:
- 2 figs sliced thin or diced
- 1 red pear sliced thin or cubed
- honey for drizzle
- Slice baguette thin, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toast on low broil for 2-4 minutes. Watch carefully. Look for edges to brown a bit.
- Spread goat cheese on each slice.
- For the kale crostini saute pancetta in a non-stick pan for about 5 min. until brown. Add the kale and a drizzle of olive oil. Saute for about 4 min. until the kale shrinks. Top the crostini with the kale and sprinkle with parmesan.
- For the raspberry crostini, top with raspberry mixture and pistachios. Sprinkle with raw sugar and add a mint leaf for garnish.
- For the fig crostini, simply top with ingredients and drizzle with honey.
What are some of your favorite toppings for crostini?