Easy Roasted Broccoli is an essential recipe for quick, healthy, weeknight meals. Roasting the broccoli with garlic at high heat brings out its flavor.
Do your kids ever say, "Yes, broccoli for dinner?" Mine do and yes, I'm bragging. I've been making this Easy Roasted Broccoli for years and we've eaten at least 6,357 times. Seeing my kids eat broccoli is a huge happiness maker for me. It's not just that they eat it, it's the enjoying it part. I can get them to choke down anything with enough effort, but in the long run, that is not a win. I want them to like their vegetables.
We all know that roasting vegetables makes them hard to resist but it's also super easy to do on a weeknight. There are a few essential tips to making this broccoli work.
- Get broccoli florets with very little stem. My kids hate big pieces of stem.
- Cut them into small pieces and give them room to breathe on the sheet pan. Overcrowding will steam them and make them soggy.
- Don't be afraid to be generous with the olive oil and seasoning. I put the florets in a bowl and mix with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. I use my hands so I know each tiny floret is getting it's fair share of goodness.
- Use an olive oil drizzler. This is a life changing kitchen tool. It allows you to drizzle the oil over the pieces without any huge glugs coming out. I use it every day.
- I prefer kosher salt because the grains are large enough that I can see them and I can sprinkle it with my fingers. Have you ever tried to sprinkle table salt? It gets sticky and you can't see it on your food.
Have you guys noticed I'm in the midst of a site redesign? I am beyond excited and love the new layout. I am still making changes and have a developer helping me with my logo and a few other things that are beyond my coding capabilities. I'd love to know what you think. If you have any advice about usability or any suggestions for recipe types that you'd like to see more of, please leave me a comment below.
Good luck roasting your veggies. It's life changing!
Easy Roasted Broccoli
- 1-2 lbs broccoli florets trimmed of stems and cut into small pieces
- 4 or 5 tablespoon olive oil to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic I use prechopped in a bottle
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lemon wedge
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Put broccoli in a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss florets trying to ensure that each piece has some oil on it.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper. Toss again.
- Spread out on a sheet pan and make sure there is room between each piece. If necessary, use another pan.
- Roast for about 8 minutes and toss gently with a spatula to turn them over.
- Roast another 5 minutes, watching closely for some browning to occur.
- Remove and drizzle with a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve immediately.
Looking for more quick, weeknight recipes?
Made this last night. What was I waiting for? Absolutely delicious. Most of it disappeared off the sheet pan before it got to the table for dinner. Thank you for another great recipe!