When you don't want to turn on the oven you can still have delicious gluten free cookies fast. These cookies are made simply with oatmeal, coconut, nut butter, maple syrup, and chocolate chips. Simply mix and drop - couldn't be easier!
There are times when we need sweets and we just don't want to turn the oven on. I've got you covered. These Gluten Free No Bake Oatmeal Cookies remind me of the preacher cookies my mom and I used to make together. Preacher cookies have butter and cocoa which has to be melted in a saucepan so these are WAY easier.
If you love oatmeal in the morning loaded with peanut butter and chocolate chips like I do... you'll love these easy gluten free cookies.
Oatmeal can be tricky for people who have celiac disease because they are often made in plants that process other gluten-containing grains. If you just have a gluten intolerance you can usually handle oatmeal with no problems. So, the moral of the story is if you have celiac disease make sure you get certified gluten free oats. I like Bob's Red Mill but Quaker has gluten free oats now too.
Health Benefits of Oats (USDA)
- 1/2 cup of oats contains 150 calories
- 5 grams of protein
- 2.5 grams of fat
- 4 grams of fiber (soluble fiber can help reduce cholesterol)
- 1 gram of sugar
- contains manganese, phosphorous and magnesium
- contains vitamin B and antioxidants
- Melt your nut butter and maple syrup together in a medium-sized pot. Stir well and cook for a few minutes on low. It should be all nicely mixed together and it will start to thicken just a little. Do not overcook or it will get too thick.
- Add oatmeal, coconut and chocolate chips.
- Stir well, it will get sticky and thick.
- Use an ice cream scoop to measure out balls and place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Use the bottom of a glass to flatten them out a bit.
- Freeze until set.
People often ask me what gluten free chocolate chips I prefer and I must say I know them all too well. I have a chocolate chip addiction, I cannot lie. My favorite brand is Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips but here is a list for reference...
Favorite Gluten Free Chocolate Baking Chips (from Amazon)
Feel free to use any nut butter. I have made these with almond and peanut butter. You can swap out the chocolate chips for raisins or craisins if you prefer. If you choose to leave out the coconut, add the same amount of oats to make up for it.
Gluten Free No Bake Oatmeal Cookies
- 3/4 cup nut butter, I used almond
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, shredded
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, gluten free
- In a medium saucepan melt the nut butter and maple syrup over medium low heat, stirring often. It will begin to get thick and you want to take it off the stove immediately.
- Remove from heat and add oatmeal, coconut and chocolate chips. Stir well. Mixture will be thick.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, drop cookies onto a parchement lined cookie sheet. Use the bottom of a glass to flatten them out a bit.
- Pop in freezer for about 30 minutes to set. Enjoy!
Adapted from Minimalist Baker.