This family-friendly Chicken Parmesan with Pepperoni is super satisfying on those cold winter nights by the fire. Make extra because the leftovers are delicious.
Do you ever get tired of making dinner? I do! It can be so monotonous and unrewarding. Especially if I make a big fancy dinner and my kids say things like:
"Can I have cereal?"
"What's the sauce on this chicken?"
"I'm not hungry."
Trust me, writing a food blog doesn't necessarily make dinner easier at my house. My kids are not drinking Carrot, Apple and Turmeric Smoothies or eating Warm Kale Salad with Prosciutto and Manchego so those are just for me and hubby. That's why now and again I have to make a meal that is just for the kiddos and this is the latest.
Anything covered in cheese and pepperoni is a hit with my kids. They've always loved chicken parmesan so I decided to mix it up a bit after being inspired by this recipe by Diethood.
After all, when asked they always say that pepperoni pizza is their favorite meal.
Apparently Cooper likes Chicken Parmesan with Pepperoni too! What a cutie.
Chicken Parmesan with Pepperoni
- 3 large chicken breasts pounded to 1/2 inch thick, cut in half horizontally
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup grape tomatoes or you could use 1 cup of marinara sauce, cut in half
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pepperoni
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Salt and pepper chicken breasts on both sides.
- Combine breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup grated parmesan, garlic powder in a shallow bowl.
- Put two eggs and 1 tbsp flour into a shallow bowl and whisk.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture letting excess drip off.
- Dip into flour mixture, shaking extra off and put into hot pan.
- Do not move, let it brown 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat, top with mozzarella, parmesan, tomatoes and pepperoni.
- Place in oven for about 7-8 minutes until chicken is done (remember it is thin) and cheese is bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley. I served mine with fusilli pasta.
Modified from this one at Diethood.