Grilled Chicken Souvlaki is always a favorite grilled chicken at my house. The marinade makes the most tender, moist and flavorful chicken. This chicken is gluten-free and easy to prepare. (keto, gluten free, whole30, paleo)
Summer is in full swing here - it's so hot. It's almost hard to think about getting out in the heat and grilling but I cherish every summer day. Must grill as much as I can!
I grill my chicken like this all the time and everyone - I repeat - everyone in my family will eat it! That's a huge win. When you are a mom of three, you know what it's like to always have that one kid who doesn't like what you made. It's not always the same kid, but there is always one. Do you always have one?
Marinating this Greek Chicken Souvlaki keeps it moist and tender...
Chicken Souvlaki Marinade...
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
- oil (olive or avocado oil)
- salt and pepper
Marinating your chicken in lemon juice makes it so tender while the thyme and garlic add flavor. We have all had bland chicken breasts that have been overcooked on the grill. Been there, done that. This is not one of those cases. If you follow the directions here, you will be very pleased with the results.
I know I always say this, but I almost always tenderize my chicken breasts with the flat side of the mallet. It really works. Plus pounding it to an even thickness makes it easier to cook it evenly. Trust me on this peeps!
The tzatziki sauce is a nice, creamy complement to chicken but just leave it off if you prefer. The chicken tastes delicious without it.
Grilled Chicken Souvlaki
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 lemons juiced
- 2 lemons zested
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 or a dash of red pepper flakes
- For sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain no sugar full-fat yogurt
- 1 English cucumber diced small
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness. Trim off fat.
- Make the marinade by whisking together lemon juice through red pepper flakes. Place chicken in a plastic bag and pour over marinade. Massage so all chicken is covered in marinade. Place in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- Mix together all tzatziki sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Grill chicken about 6-8 minutes per side or until a meat thermometer reads 160º. Remove from grill and place under foil to rest.