Fall is here and I’m beginning to crave comfort food filled with toasty spices and warm broth. Loaded with beans and sweetened up with sweet potatoes, it’s a sure-fire way to warm your family’s bellies tonight. I use my own mix of taco spices for this Taco Soup with Sweet Potatoes but feel free to use any prepared taco seasonings you have in the pantry.
My kids top their soup with grated cheddar and enjoy gluten free tortilla chips on the side. I prefer mine with fresh avocado, scallions and cheese. Serve it for company with a toppings bar complete with onions, sour cream, lime wedges, cilantro, Monterey jack cheese, sliced jalapeños or corn chips.
This could easily be tossed in the slow cooker in the morning and left to simmer on low all day. Just make sure to brown the onions and ground beef first. I hope this becomes your go-to soup for the Fall season.
Want more quick and easy soup recipes? Try these…
Taco Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cups chicken broth GF
- 1 14 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14 oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup your favorite fresh salsa
- 1 cup diced sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat brown ground beef with the onion until beef is cooked through.
- Stir in chicken broth, beans, sweet potatoes and salsa, Sprinkle in all the spices and stir well, Bring to a low boil then reduce to simmer.
- Continue to cook for 20 minutes, making sure that sweet potatoes are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and add toppings.