These really are The Best Rice Krispies Treats. They are creamy, gooey and the perfect amount of sweet and crunchy. Master this easy recipe and you will use it over and over.
Are Rice Krispies gluten free? This has been a very confusing question over the past few years so I'm going to dig into all the details for you below. You will find out all the brands that are and are not gluten free.
If you want to learn more about starting a gluten free diet, here's my Gluten Free Diet For Beginners Guide.
Is there anything better than an ooey, gooey pan of fresh Rice Krispies Treats? I don't think so. They are the best dish to take to a bake sale, neighborhood party or potluck and are always one of the first desserts to disappear.
Are Rice Krispies Gluten Free?
Rice is gluten free but that doesn't mean that all rice cereals are gluten free. Lots of other gluten-containing ingredients can be found on the ingredient label and need to be watched carefully. One of those is malt syrup. If you have celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity you need to read those labels carefully.
Currently, Kellogg's Rice Krispies contains malt syrup so it is a no-go. Malt syrup is a sweetener made from barley. I used to be able to find gluten free Rice Krispies but according to their website, they no longer make them because of disappointing sales. Boo!
When you are checking the ingredient list for gluten-containing items look for these words...
What Rice Cereals are Gluten Free?
Don't despair you can still make Rice Krispies Treats and enjoy them on a gluten free diet. Here are all the brands I have found that are gluten free.
- Nature's Path Organic Crispy Rice Cereal
- Kellogg's Rice Krispies - Imported from Canada available on Amazon
- One Degree Sprouted Brown Rice Crisps
- Aldi's Crispy Rice Cereal - Available at Aldi's
- Malt O Meal Rice Krispies - Available at Walmart
- Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice - Available at Walmart
- Great Value Rice Crispers - Available at Walmart
Ingredients For Gluten Free Rice Krispie Treats
- high-quality unsalted butter - I love Kerrygold.
- mini-marshmallows - Make sure they are fresh.
- gluten free crispy rice cereal
Here are some essential tips for making The Best Rice Krispie Treats Ever →
- Use high-quality unsalted butter. I like Kerrygold and Plugra.
- Use a 1:1 ratio of marshmallows to Rice Krispies. This makes them way creamer and not dry.
- Use mini marshmallows because they melt faster.
- Stir them well so that each crispy is covered in marshmallow goodness.
- Melt the butter and marshmallows on low so you don't burn them. If it starts to turn brown it won't taste good.
- Put foil in your baking pan and spray it with cooking spray so they don't stick. Then you can lift them out easily to cut them.
- Use waxed paper to press them down evenly, but don't squash them too much.
- Use add-ins to boost the fun: M&M's, sprinkles, or chocolate chips. Just make sure your add-ins are gluten free if necessary.
These babies are ready for school pick-up. Best mom ever!
The Best Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 stick of unsalted high-quality butter
- 8 cups marshmallows
- 8 cups Rice Krispies gluten-free if necessary
- Melt butter and marshmallows over low heat, stirring often.
- Add the Rice Krispie treats and stir well.
- Add 1 ½ cups of M&M's and stir.
- Pour mixture into a 13 x 9-inch pan lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Press into pan gently using wax paper. Don't press too hard or you will crush the M&M's.