These really are The Best Rice Krispie Treats. They are creamy, gooey and the perfect amount of sweet and crunchy. Master this easy recipe and you will use it over and over.
I am so, so happy with my new site design! It's been a long process but I'm ecstatic with the results. I have to give a shout out to the peeps over at Autumn Lane Paperie on Etsy. They were so easy to work with, responsive and have the most beautiful design elements available. Thanks, guys!
You may be wondering how I can offer anything new when it comes to the famous Rice Krispie Treat recipe from the box. Well, I can. I do my research, I practice making them over and over and I take lots of notes until I have the best proportions of each ingredient. These gems are...
This all started when my neighbors were over and someone brought Rice Krispie Treats. Everyone wanted to know why they were better and she said - more butter. So that led me to do some research since I have nothing better to do with my time. ? I figure if it's a recipe I'll use a couple of hundred times over my lifetime, it's worth some investigation.
I'm telling you there really is a difference. The original recipe can be dry and chewy = brick like. They get stale fast and are generally pretty blah. These are creamier, because there are more marshmallows. The flavor is better because I use a high-quality butter (butter snob!) and more of it.
Here are some essential tips to making The Best Rice Krispie Treats Ever →
- Use high-quality unsalted butter. I like Kerrygold and Plugra.
- Use a 1:1 ratio of marshmallows to Rice Krispies. This makes them way creamer and not dry.
- Use mini marshmallows because they melt faster.
- Stir them well so that each crispy is covered in marshmallow goodness.
- Melt the butter and marshmallows on low so you don't burn them. If it starts to turn brown it won't taste good.
- Put foil in your baking pan and spray it with cooking spray so they don't stick. Then you can lift them out easily to cut them.
- Use waxed paper to press them down evenly, but don't squash them too much.
- I made mine gluten free with Gluten Free Rice Krispies and Kraft Marshmallows.
- Use adds ins to boost the fun: M&M's, sprinkles or chocolate chips. Just make sure your add-ins are gluten free if necessary.
That might look like an overwhelming list of tips but like I said if you are going to make this recipe a gazillion times you might as well get it right. I consider this an essential recipe for my family. It's quick and easy to make for a bake sale, potluck, block party or impromptu patio party. Master those essential recipes peeps!
These babies are ready for school pick-up. Best mom ever!
The Best Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 stick of unsalted high-quality butter
- 8 cups marshmallows
- 8 cups Rice Krispies gluten-free if necessary
- Melt butter and marshmallows over low heat, stirring often.
- Add the Rice Krispie treats and stir well.
- Add 1 ½ cups of M&M's and stir.
- Pour mixture into a 13 x 9-inch pan lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Press into pan gently using wax paper. Don't press too hard or you will crush the M&M's.