Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki thighs are the easiest weeknight recipe ever. The teriyaki sauce is easily made with only a few ingredients and gluten free. Quick and easy instant pot pressure cooker dinners are the best!
I've had my Instant Pot for about a year now and it never fails me on busy nights. It is especially great for Asian inspired dinners like this Instant Pot Chicken Stir Fry, Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli or Instant Pot Orange Chicken. I have a love affair with the Instant Pot because plain and simple, it makes my life easier. All I want is easy, flavorful gluten free dinner options that my kids will eat.
Make the Sauce - Whisk ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
- tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- brown sugar
- sesame oil
- chopped garlic
I know some of you get nervous about using an Instant Pot but it really is easy once you get the hang of it. The scariest part is when you have to do a quick pressure release. I have been burned by steam and it's not fun. Make sure you use a dishtowel when you turn the knob to release and move that hand out of the way fast.
The BEST part about the Instant Pot is that you can saute and brown the meat in the same pan. One pot dinners = happiness! the saute function is not as good as the stovetop in my opinion but it works fine. I like to turn mine to high saute to really get some browning and caramelization on the meat.
Set the Instant Pot to high saute and drizzle with sesame oil. Salt and pepper skinless chicken thighs and brown on both sides.
Step 3, pour the sauce over the chicken, secure lid and set to manual for 8 minutes. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli in a covered microwave-safe dish with 2-3 tablespoons of water for about 3-4 minutes. You want it to be bright green and still have a bite to it. If you cook the broccoli in the Instant Pot it will turn mushy.
Step 4, serve with rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice. These Teriyaki Chicken Thighs are delicious the next day or sliced onto a salad or grain bowl.
Based on my Baked Teriyaki Salmon recipe.
Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki
- Instant Pot
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 ½ cups broccoli, cut in bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup tamari
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or honey
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- Set Instant Pot to high saute and let it warm up. When hot drizzle about 1 tbsp of sesame oil in the pot. Generously salt chicken thighs and brown on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl add all sauce ingredients (except cornstarch) and whisk well. (1 tbsp sesame oil goes in bottom of pot and 1 goes in the sauce.)
- When chicken is sauteed, pour all sauce into instant pot, set instant pot to manual and set the timer for 8 minutes. Make sure the dial is on sealed. After the 8 minutes you can either do a quick release by turning the dial to venting (with a dishtowel) or let it naturally release. Either way works fine.
- Steam broccoli in a microwave safe bowl with a few tablespoons of water in the bottom.
- When chicken is done remove it from the pot. Turn pot to saute, whisk the cornstarch and water together and add to the pot. Stir and cook until desired thickness. It should take only a minute or two.
- Add chicken and broccoli to the pot. Give it a stir and serve with rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa.