Try this hearty, healthy Mediterranean Skillet Chicken with Greens. It's packed with nutritious vegetables and sprinkled with spices to liven it up a bit. It's a filling meal that can be prepped on Sunday and eaten all week! (gluten free, keto)
New Year's goals... who's got them? I'm not a huge fan of resolutions but I believe in getting focused and trying to slowly start new healthy habits. The best way to fail is to make broad sweeping and hard to attain resolutions that set you up for failure.
Been there, done that.
Like for example when I tried to give up caffeine cold turkey on January 1st. I was not someone you wanted to be around that's for sure. What was the point of that anyway? I mean coffee is GOOD for you, right?
So instead, I like to try to focus on simple goals that I can attain like eat more fruits and vegetables, drink more water or eat less sugar. I find that it takes me a few months to set up a new healthy habit so I take it one by one.
This Mediterranean Skillet Chicken with Greens fulfills my goal of eating more vegetables. The greens in this actually taste good and you will want to eat them!
Sauteing the chicken in olive oil and garlic makes some lovely sauce that gets on the tomatoes and swiss chard and it really pulls it together. I have doubled the amount of swiss chard and made this on Sunday. It lasts all week for healthy lunches and quick dinners. Add 1/2 cup of quinoa, cauliflower rice or whole wheat pasta for a complete meal.
I like chicken thighs in this but breasts work just as well. Chicken thighs have a higher fat content but I use the ones with no skin and that helps cut down on the fat a bit.
I think you will love this Mediterranean Skillet Chicken with Greens. It's...
- packed with nutrients from the swiss chard and tomatoes
- easy to make in less than 30 minutes
- infinitely adaptable with what you have on hand (use any greens, add olives, use a different cheese, add a splash of white wine for a more saucy dish)
- gluten free
- perfect for meal prep
- full of Mediterranean flavor!
Oh yeah, exciting news! I'm going to try to start providing the Weight Watchers smart points values on my recipes. Weight Watchers helps so many people and folks always ask me for them so here goes! I will do my best using my recipe plugin and the smart points calculator to get them right but it can get tricky! Look right below the recipe. ↓
Mediterranean Skillet Chicken with Greens
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 4 cups swiss chard, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp feta cheese
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and sprinkle with all the spices, garlic powder thru pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook for about 15 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 170º F. Remove chicken from pan and cover with foil.
- Add another tbsp of olive oil to the pan and add the minced fresh garlic. Cook for one minute then add tomatoes. Cook tomatoes for about 3 minutes. They will start to soften and release juices.
- Add swiss chard to pan and stir until the chard starts to wilt down. Cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Add chicken and any juices back to pan. Top with feta and serve alongside quinoa, whole wheat pasta or cauliflower rice.
Smart Points Value - 6