Do you crave chocolate in the late afternoon? Try these Paleo Brownies with Almond Butter Icing. They are rich, dense and packed with chocolate to help you get through the afternoon slump. (paleo, gluten-free)
Are you a chocolate lover?
In other words, do you find it impossible to walk by the pantry without reaching in for a handful of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips?
Yep, that's me. In fact, I started keeping the chocolate chips in the garage freezer to keep them out of reach but alas, that only worked for a few months. I find it is best to make a healthy (ish) treat with them like these Paleo Brownies with Almond Butter Icing. It's hard to OD on these because they are so rich, dense and chocolatey.
Whether you are following the paleo diet or not you can appreciate that these are made with almond flour which is full of protein and fiber. That's better than white flour any day and WAY better for you than a boxed brownie mix. I used coconut sugar and coconut oil to add a bit more flavor and health benefits. Did you know that refined coconut oil has a neutral flavor? That makes it better for baking in brownies like this. Virgin coconut oil still has that yummy coconut scent and flavor which can be great in recipes where you want the coconut flavor to shine.
This is the simplest recipe ever and easily mixed in one bowl. The most difficult thing you have to do is melt your coconut oil in the microwave I know you can do this!
I am, and always will be, in love with Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. I love the minis and the chunks. I used to buy them at the grocery store but they are cheaper on Amazon. This is why I currently have 6 bags of chocolate chips hidden in the depths of my garage freezer. Seriously if you haven't tried them... you must. You will not be able to eat that other brand, like ever! Oh yeah, they are vegan, gluten free, soy free, dairy free, vegan and paleo!
These Paleo Brownies with Almond Butter Icing need to cool fully before cutting. I like to place mine in the fridge to help that icing set. They should keep well for a few days. Remember they aren't full of additives so they won't last as long as the boxed mixes that can stay on the counter for weeks.
These are the perfect snack for the late afternoon munchies. They are...
- oh so chocolatey
- dense and fudgy
- naturally sweetened
- perfect with ice cream!
Paleo Brownies with Almond Butter Icing
- ¾ cup superfine almond flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
- ½ cup natural almond butter
- 1-2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave and set aside to cool a bit. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk the almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add the three eggs and cooled coconut oil to the flour mixture. Stir well and add in chocolate chips.
- Spray a 9 x 9 baking pan with cooking spray and pour in batter. The mixture will be thick and you will need to spread with a spatula.
- Cook for about 20 minutes and then let cool completely before icing.
- When cooled make the icing. Melt ½ cup almond butter in the microwave and add 1-2 tablespoon of coconut oil. Stir well. Pour over the cooled brownies. Place in fridge to set for an hour or so before slicing.
Check out these Gluten Free Brownies too!
I do crave chocolate in the afternoon! I am a chocolate lover! I have come to the right place! These look divine, my friend! Pinned!
Sound like we have a lot in common Annie!
I am the biggest chocolate lover! These look great
Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes
I am so with you about not being able to resist eating chocolate chips! I need to try moving them out of the house too. Ha ha. Great recipe and love that simple almond butter icing! So easy!
I really need to move them all the way to the backyard! I can always find them!
I love your chocolate obsession! 🙂 Wish I had some of these right now! 🙂 That almond butter icing is such a great idea!
Thanks, Julia, yes the icing is not too sweet, just the way I like it!
Emma | The Cake Mistress
I've just started reading more about healthy baking. It'll be hard to pry butter and chocolate from my hands, but these look convincingly good.
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen
I'm a total chocolate lover Karen, so these brownies will be happening shortly at our house! I love the almond butter icing!