Summer makes for easy cooking! I don’t know how I survived the winter without all these fresh seasonal veggies. This was my lunch yesterday and yes, I’m proud. It was delicious and super good for me. So I felt better about polishing off the last piece of my son’s ice cream cake; also delicious. Can you believe my baby turned 12? Anyhoo, this is a super easy blueprint for a healthy meal any day of the week. It took ten minutes start to finish and of course, it’s gluten free.
- wash your kale and pat dry
- tear smallish pieces, pulling away from rib
- heat skillet over medium high and saute 3 cloves of garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil
- add kale and stir with tongs for about 10 minutes or so
- add salt and maybe another drizzle of oil or lemon juice over the top
- some folks like to add a bit of water or broth and steam it with the lid on but I prefer mine crispier
That’s it. Once you know how to do this you can embrace this super green and get it into your diet ASAP! Remember the more greens and veggies you eat the less room you have for garbage, like that ice cream cake.You can use the same method to cook other greens like spinach. These come in handy for making power bowls like this one. Power bowls have endless possibilities. A power bowl is simply a bowl full of healthy goodness, usually veggies, protein and sometimes a grain like quinoa, rice or millet. It’s a great way to use leftovers and works well in a hurry. Here are some of my favorite ingredients for a power bowl…
- leftover protein (chicken, steak, fish, pork or eggs) For this recipe I used Aidell’s Chicken Meatballs.
- any seasonal veggies sauted, roasted or grilled (tomatoes, greens, squash, green beans, peas, sweet potatoes, broccoli)
- a healthy fat like avocado, garbanzo or other beans
- nuts, seeds, chia, flax
- a bit of feta or goat cheese
- a drizzle of balsamic dressing
I could go on and on with the options here but I don’t want to overwhelm you. Trust me there will be more power bowls highlighted on Seasonal Cravings!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes delivered to your inbox.
Sausage, Kale and Tomato Power Bowl
- Sauted kale
- Sauteed yellow grape tomatoes cut in half
- Sautéed Chicken meatballs I used Aidell's
- 1 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- basil leaves chopped or torn
Place sauteed kale in bottom of bowl and top with sautéed tomatoes.
Top with Aidell's Chicken Meatballs or chicken sausage.
Sprinkle with feta and basil.
Looking for a breakfast power bowl? Try this Kale and Egg Power Bowl.