This Easy Chicken Pho can be made in under 30 minutes and is loaded with the flavors of garlic, ginger, and anise. (gluten free)
What is Chicken Pho?
Chicken Pho is a Vietnamese dish that starts with a broth that is rich in flavors like lime, ginger, and anise. It is loaded with sliced meat and rice noodles and topped with Thai basil and cilantro. You might even hear some serious slurping going on at your dinner table. The broth, when done right, is so rich and flavorful and the toppings are a must.
What do I need to make Chicken Pho?
Chicken Pho can be made mostly with pantry staples. The fresh herbs are a little tricky to have on hand but they really add a lot of flavor to this dish.
- sliced chicken or beef
- olive oil
- rice noodles (thick or thin)
- ginger, garlic, star anise,
- hoisin sauce
- chicken broth
- don't skimp on any of the spices for the broth... the broth makes this Chicken Pho!
- I used rice noodles but any noodles will do, ramen would be great
- the toppings are very important... lime, peppers, carrots, radishes, bean sprouts, cilantro, Thai basil, sriracha
More Soup Recipes
- Tortellini Soup with Sausage
- Acorn Squash Soup with Turmeric
- Sausage and Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- 1 lb chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth gluten free if needed
- 2 star anise
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce gluten free if needed
- ½ jalapeno seeds removed and sliced
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz rice noodles
- cilantro, thai basil, carrots, radishes, sriracha sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium high in a large dutch oven.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and cook over medium high heat allowing it to brown some on both sides about two minutes.
- Slowly add chicken broth to pot.
- Add the star anise, ginger, brown sugar, garlic powder, hoisin and jalepeno slices. Stir well and bring to a boil. Then reduce to simmer and allow to cook for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred with two forks. Add back to pot.
- Divide noodles between bowls and pour the soup over top. Add all the toppings!
Greetings from the Cali Coast! We make this quite often, and your recipe is almost exactly the same as ours. I like to used the candied, crystallized ginger chunks instead of ginger powder--this adds sweetness as well. For herbs, we like cilantro or basil or both. Finely chopped cabbage also adds a nice crunch. Mmmmm good.
Hi Stuart! Great to see you here!