These Chocolate Cashew Energy Balls are so delicious, your family will never know they are healthy. They require only five ingredients and about ten minutes out of your busy day. They are gluten free, high protein and full of fiber.
Is it possible that you haven't heard of energy balls yet? Have you been living under a rock? If so, it's time to get out and embrace these convenient little babies. The possibilities are endless!
I prefer mine with cashew butter which I have been so obsessed with lately. It's creamy and versatile I've used it in hundreds of recipes over the last few weeks. (Think chocolate cashew butter - yum!) You guys are going to be so sick of it, trust me. If you are following the Paleo or Whole30 diet you probably eat a lot of cashew butter. This is the perfect recipe for you. You can easily leave out the chocolate chips if they aren't on your diet plan - they are still delicious.
These can be adapted in a million ways and I've included several obvious substitutions on the recipe. Feel free to add any dried fruit that suits you. To pump up the nutritional value you can add flax or chia seeds. Be careful about adding nuts to the mix, because I found they make it very hard to mix and more likely to fall apart. You could add chopped dates, coconut flakes, pumpkin puree, chopped pistachios, instant coffee, protein powder or cocoa powder.
You may notice that mine are a bit more rough in texture than some others you see. I prefer mine this way but if you want a smoother ball, you can add 1-2 tbsp of any type of milk to bring the mixture together. Experiment and see what works.
Here's why I need energy balls. These 12 trees need to be planted. I know hubby will do it but I can't let him work out there all alone. He works like a slave in our yard because he "enjoys" it. Can you imagine?
I will admit we have a pretty awesome yard but I also appreciate a relaxing weekend when we don't have to slave away. Couldn't he have an easy hobby, like stamp collecting or knitting?
Looks like I'm not the only one who will need these Chocolate Cashew Energy Balls this weekend. I'll have to make another batch for hubby since ours were gone in the first 30 minutes! Make these ASAP. Your family will appreciate you all that much more when Mother's Day rolls around. They might even score you a few extra minutes to sleep in.
By the way, I am not planting trees on Mother's Day!
Chocolate Cashew Energy Balls
- 1 cup gluten free oats Bob's Red Mill
- 1/3 cup cashew I used Trader Joe's cashew butter, peanut or almond butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp gluten free chocolate chips like Enjoy Life
- 2 tbsp dried cherries or craisins
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Using a small melon scooper, scoop out and use hands to form into balls.
- Your hands will get sticky. It helps to wash them once or twice in between rolling the balls.
- Place on a cookie sheet and let chill for at least 30 minutes to set.
- You can add a bit of milk to help these come together. I prefer not to do that but do it if it works for you.
- If you are having trouble making these into a ball, pop the mixture into the fridge for about 20 minutes, then try rolling them into balls.
Looking for more oatmeal recipes?