These Crock Pot Steel Cut Oats with Chocolate, Cherries and Cashews are so comforting and filling that you won’t need a morning snack. They are a real crowd pleaser when you have a house full of guests. Get creative with your toppings and have a toppings bar.
I know it’s almost Thanksgiving, but I can’t help being obsessed with all things Christmas! I am not that person who gets mad because the holiday commercials come on before Halloween. Bring. It. On. I love all things Christmas and can’t wait to decorate my house and bake cookies to share with the neighbors. Topiaries, wreaths, anything chalkboard – I love it all.
When I am not busy obsessing over all things Christmas I am eating oatmeal. Seriously, I think I ate oatmeal for breakfast for one year straight. It’s so comforting and filling in the cool winter months. The fiber helps me get through the morning without wanting a
protein candy bar. By the way, aren’t protein bars the trickiest thing ever? They are essentially candy bars with a bit of protein added in. Have you ever looked at the ingredients? Sheesh! Sorry for my rant.
This Crock Pot Overnight Steel Cut Oats with Chocolate, Cherries and Cashews is breakfast for the masses. I know it’s a long title, but I thought each word was important and I couldn’t leave any of them out. I made it over the weekend and I have eaten it all week. I’ll admit that it looks a bit icky when you are reheating it, but get over it because it tastes delicious. I added a bit of coconut milk and reheated it the microwave then topped it with all the glorious toppings. When you cook the oats in the crock pot they get a little browned around the edges and this is some serious goodness.
I have my parents coming for the holidays and I’m planning to double this recipe and make an oatmeal toppings bar. I’ll have it all ready the night before so I can just pull out the toppings and make the coffee. Viola! Healthy breakfast done. Here are some topping ideas …
- cinnamon, sugar, and apples
- almond and coconut flakes
- peanut butter, apples, chocolate chips
- bananas, raisins, almond butter
- pomegranate seeds and chocolate chips
- pumpkin spice and pears
- flax, honey, and pears
- granola, yogurt, blueberries
- marshmallows, chocolate chips, graham cracker crumbs ?
So get your slippers, sit by the fire and enjoy a ready-made breakfast with your holiday company.
Crock Pot Steel Cut Oats with Chocolate, Cherries, and Cashews
- 2 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup steel cut oats I used Bob's Red Mill
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dried cherries
- chocolate chips I use Enjoy Life
- raw unsalted cashews
- Spray the bottom of your slow cooker with cooking spray. Turn on low.
- Add all ingredients except toppings and stir.
- Cover and relax.
- Cook for 7 hours on low.
- Adjust time if necessary. All slow cookers are different.
- To reheat, simply stir in some milk and heat in the microwave.
Adapted from this one at Cooking Light.