Gluten is a protein found in certain grains like wheat, barley, rye, and some oats. If you've been part of the Seasonal Cravings community for any time you know that I gave up gluten long ago because it causes tummy troubles that I don't feel like dealing with. In general, I feel like I have more energy and sleep better when I don't eat gluten.
If you want to learn more about becoming gluten free check out my How to Go Gluten Free Guide. It's got everything you need to know about getting started.
Once you are a pro at that you can print out this Ultimate Printable Gluten Free Food List and attach it to your fridge. Take a photo and you will have it with you at the store when you need it. Or print out the Gluten Free Food List here.
Gluten Free Food List
Fruits and vegetables
- All fresh fruits and vegetables are naturally gluten free. Woo hoo! Watch out for canned, pre-prepped, frozen, dried or otherwise processed produce.
Meats, poultry and seafood
- All fresh meat, poultry, and seafood are naturally gluten free. Watch out for meat packaged in marinades and ground meat. Sometimes a filler is added to ground meat and it can contain gluten.
Deli meat needs to be checked. Here are some common brands of deli meat that are gluten free but always double-check.
- Applegate Farms
- Boar's Head
- Buddig Original
- Dietz & Watson
- Land O Frost
Always check meat substitutes and veggie burgers.
- butter and ghee
- all cheese except blue cheese, what out for shredded cheese and any processed cheese
- full fat cream cheese
- cottage cheese (but check ingredients to be sure)
- sour cream
- half and half
- whipping cream
- plain yogurt (always check labels on flavored yogurt)
- ice cream - many ice creams are gluten free - refer to this article for details
- Quinoa (my personal favorite)
- Buckwheat (yes really)
- Gluten Free Oats (must be labeled gluten free)
- Brown and White Rice
- Cornmeal, Grits and Polenta
- Olive oil
- Avocado oil
- Coconut oil
- Sesame oil
- Jams /Jellies
- Ketchup (Annie's, Heinz, French's and Hunts)
- Mustard (Annie's, Boar's Head, French's, Grey Poupon and Gulden's)
- Mayo (Hellman's, Duke's and Heinz)
- Tamari (instead of soy sauce which contains gluten)
- Coconut Aminos
- Herbs and spices (check labels to be sure especially if it's a spice blend)
- Barbecue Sauce (Bone Sucking Sauce, Organicville, Stubb's and Sweet Baby Rae's)
- Ground flax
- Chia seeds
- Baking powder
- Baking Soda
- Cream of Tartar
Nuts and beans
- All plain nuts (no seasoning)
- Almond, cashew, and peanut butter (plain)
- All dried beans and peas
Hope you get a lot of value from this Gluten Free Food List. Be sure to share it if you do!