This Turmeric Salmon and Couscous skillet is super easy to make on a weeknight but seasonal and tasty enough for company. Loaded with good-for-you ingredients and ready in under 30 minutes!
Fall seasonal goodies at their best! I love using all that fall has to offer to make beautiful meals using things I find at the market. Turmeric always makes for such gorgeous color whenever I use it and it's so good for you!
If you are gluten free or you are not a fan of couscous, use quinoa or rice instead. Either way, the spices will give great flavor to whatever base you choose. I loaded this Turmeric Salmon and Couscous up with all the spices... paprika, turmeric, salt, pepper, and orange zest.
This dinner is perfect for a dinner party and I have used it several times for just that. It's easy to make and it looks gorgeous on the table with all that pop of color. Learn how to say thank you for dinner here with this handy guide.
People often ask about salmon and how to buy it. I rarely buy fresh and often buy the frozen packages from Whole Foods. I like to meal prep it on the weekends and throw it in my salads and bowls during the week. It's so tasty just with a little drizzle of pure maple syrup or a slather of grainy dijon mustard.
The health benefits of salmon are vast and include heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, high protein, and plenty of B vitamins. Not to mention, I like to try to have a few nights a week that we don't eat red meat.
- salmon - I like to buy frozen fillets and thaw them overnight in the fridge
- orange pepper - any color pepper will work and small dice works great in this
- red onion - shallots or white onion will work great here too
- spices - I love using a combo of turmeric and paprika for its smokey, earthy flavor and it adds so much color
- orange juice and zest - using fresh really makes a big difference in this dish, it's more concentrated flavor
More Articles to Check Out
- Baked Teriyaki Salmon
- Sticky Maple Salmon
- Sheet Pan Apple Cider Salmon
- Keto Sheet Pan Salmon
- Gluten Free Salmon Piccata
Turmeric Salmon and Couscous
- 4 skin on salmon fillets
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Heat a pot over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add peppers and onions and saute for about 5 minutes or until they become soft. Sprinkle the vegetables with half the salt, pepper, turmeric and paprika. I just eyeball this.
- Add coucous and stir a minute. Add one cup of water and bring to a boil. When boiling remove from heat, place lid on and let sit for five minutes. Add orange zest.
- In a cast iron pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Place salmon on a plate and sprinkle with remainng salt, pepper, turmeric and paprika. Again you can kind of eyeball this. Rub all the spices into both sides of the salmon.
- Place salmon skin side down in heated pan and leave for about five minutes on first side. Turn and cook a remaining 5 minutes or so depending on thickness of the salmon.
- Serve salmon over the couscous. Sprinkle with the fresh orange juice.