This Turmeric Salmon and Couscous skillet is super easy to make on a weeknight but seasonal and tasty enough for company. Loaded with good-for-you ingredients and ready in under 30 minutes!
Fall seasonal goodies at their best! I love using all that fall has to offer to make beautiful meals using things I find at the market. Turmeric always makes for such gorgeous color whenever I use it and it's so good for you!
If you are gluten free or you are not a fan of couscous, use quinoa or rice instead. Either way, the spices will give great flavor to whatever base you choose. I loaded this Turmeric Salmon and Couscous up with all the spices... paprika, turmeric, salt, pepper, and orange zest.
People often ask about salmon and how to buy it. I rarely buy fresh and often buy the frozen packages from Whole Foods. I like to meal prep it on the weekends and throw it in my salads and bowls during the week. It's so tasty just with a little drizzle of pure maple syrup or a slather of grainy dijon mustard.
The health benefits of salmon are vast and include heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, high protein, and plenty of B vitamins. Not to mention, I like to try to have a few nights a week that we don't eat red meat.
- salmon - I like to buy frozen fillets and thaw them overnight in the fridge
- orange pepper - any color pepper will work and small dice works great in this
- red onion - shallots or white onion will work great here too
- spices - I love using a combo of turmeric and paprika for its smokey, earthy flavor and it adds so much color
- orange juice and zest - using fresh really makes a big difference in this dish, it's more concentrated flavor
More Salmon Recipes to Try
- Baked Teriyaki Salmon
- Sticky Maple Salmon
- Sheet Pan Apple Cider Salmon
- Keto Sheet Pan Salmon
- Gluten Free Salmon Piccata
Turmeric Salmon and Couscous
- 4 skin on salmon fillets
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Heat a pot over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add peppers and onions and saute for about 5 minutes or until they become soft. Sprinkle the vegetables with half the salt, pepper, turmeric and paprika. I just eyeball this.
- Add coucous and stir a minute. Add one cup of water and bring to a boil. When boiling remove from heat, place lid on and let sit for five minutes. Add orange zest.
- In a cast iron pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Place salmon on a plate and sprinkle with remainng salt, pepper, turmeric and paprika. Again you can kind of eyeball this. Rub all the spices into both sides of the salmon.
- Place salmon skin side down in heated pan and leave for about five minutes on first side. Turn and cook a remaining 5 minutes or so depending on thickness of the salmon.
- Serve salmon over the couscous. Sprinkle with the fresh orange juice.
Tell Us What You Think