Gluten Free Apple Crisp is the best way to celebrate the start of fall. It is ooey, gooey and full of tart and sweet flavors.
Fall is here and I’m dreaming of crisp apples, beef stews, pumpkins, and hayrides. I’m a bit sad to say goodbye to peaches, blueberries, and flip-flops but it’s time to move on and not look back. Embrace the season and all it has to offer (and keep wearing your flip-flops.)
What better way to embrace the season than this Gluten Free Apple Crisp? The saucy apple filling topped with crumbly, buttery goodness is delicious topped with vanilla ice cream or coconut milk.
You can put this together in minutes and is made with pantry staples. We are major fans of this dish over at the Kelly house.
This is a super easy recipe and any novice can do it but there are several tips for making it perfect.
First, use a good apple – that’s pretty basic people. If it isn’t yummy to eat, don’t use it. We love Honeycrisp. Sorry Red Delicious but you aren’t so delicious. We also like Jonah Gold, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith and Cameo apples for apple crisp.
Secondly, use your hands to cut the butter into the flour mixture. Here’s a nifty video from BBC Good Food that shows how to rub butter and flour together with your fingers. Your hands will warm the butter so move quickly.
Your family is going to love this super easy Apple Crisp. It’s perfect for a fall dinner party and you can fancy it up by serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
If you have lots of apples in your house this fall here are some other ways to use this seasonal treat…
- on a turkey sandwich
- in oatmeal
- sauteed with pork chops or chicken
- in or on top of pancakes
- add to salads and coleslaw
- in a salsa
- with caramel dip
- in kale smoothies
- in infused vodka
- to soften brown sugar
- apple candle holders
- as a beautiful centerpiece
On another and very important note: big news here. We have a new puppy! I am so excited to share photos of our new family member Cooper! What a cutie he is. Expect to hear lots more about Cooper here at Seasonal Cravings.
Awww! Love these photos. Look at those ears.
Apple Crisp - Gluten Free
- 5-6 apples cored and sliced (I prefer Honeycrisp)
- 1 cup gluten free quick cooking oats I used Bob's Red Mill
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 almond flour I used Honeyville
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 stick cold butter cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 °. Grease or spray an 8 x 8 baking dish or cast iron skillet.
- Put sliced apples into the pan.
- In a bowl stir the oats, sugar, almond flour and cinnamon.
- Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture with your hands until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Top apples with flour mixture.
- Bake for 35-45 min. until topping gets golden.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.