Who doesn't love a chocolate glazed doughnut with sprinkles? These Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Donuts are soft, tender and just the right amount of sweet. You will never know they are gluten-free.
These Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Donuts are irresistible.
Seriously, you can't say no and you can't stop at just one - be warned. Make them and send them off to neighbors and friends so you don't eat the whole batch. I made them this past Sunday and since my daughter slept in, there were only two left when she finally woke up.
It was a bad scene! In fact, I had to promise to make more tonight. Thank goodness they are so easy.
This recipe is based on my most popular Seasonal Cravings recipe for Gluten Free Doughnuts (Krispy Kreme Copycat). I made a few simple changes like adding cocoa powder and changing up the glaze a bit.
I use a donut maker like this one from Amazon but feel free to use a donut pan and bake them in the oven. I love my donut maker because it makes the cutest mini doughnuts ever.
Calories don't count when it's a mini, right?
I feel a tad bit guilty about posting this recipe since my tagline is quick, easy and healthy. These are not healthy and have a fair amount of sugar but at least they aren't deep fried, right?
It's okay to have an occasional treat and these are perfect for special occasions when you have to bring dessert. There is nothing like a sprinkled doughnut to put a smile on a kid's face.
Need More Gluten Free Doughnuts In Your Life?
- Gluten Free Doughnuts (Krispy Kreme Copycat)
- Gluten Free Apple Cider Doughnuts
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Doughnuts
- Baked Vanilla Doughnuts with Raspberry Glaze
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Donuts
- 1 ¼ cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs whites separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2-5 tablespoon milk
- Preheat your mini doughnut maker and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first seven dry ingredients, flour through sugar.
- In another small bowl whisk together the melted and cooled butter, vanilla, egg yolks, and milk. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in. Mix gently.
- In a separate small bowl whisk the two egg whites for about a minute or two with a fork. You are just trying to get them a bit thicker so they add some fluffiness to the doughnuts.
- Add egg whites to mixture and stir just until mixed.
- Transfer mixture to a Ziploc bag and cut the corner tip off. This makes it easy to pipe into the donut maker.
- Fill each well ½ full without covering the middle section. If you do, your doughnuts won't have a hole.
- Cook for about 4-6 minutes, according to your donut maker directions.
- Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- For the icing simply mix the powdered sugar with the desired amount of milk. More milk will make icing runny so don't add too much at one time.
- Dip doughnuts in icing and place on a rack to drip dry. Top with sprinkles before the icing sets.
- If you are using a donut pan, preheat oven to 350° and bake for 8-10 minutes.