What is your favorite breakfast treat? Is it blueberry muffins, chocolate chip pumpkin bread or baked french toast? In our house it’s this gluten free cinnamon coffee cake. It’s moist and delicious and the glaze takes it up a notch. Not for everyday – but perfect for a gloomy winter day when everyone in the house needs a pick me up.
We needed a pick me up this week. We had two sick kids, some stressful school projects and lots of tests to study for. At least this brought a smile to their faces.
This is a Kelly family tested and approved recipe. My kids give it five stars… and it’s gluten free. I’ve made it so many times I can’t even count. Warning : this cake is super sweet and the icing makes it sweeter. It’s also delicious without the icing or as muffins. I would not make it in a bundt cake pan because it wouldn’t get cooked all the way through.
My new favorite gluten free flour is Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour and I’ve tried them all. I have flopped so many gluten free recipes, you have no idea. This flour seems to give me the best results with baked goods. I like Cup 4 Cup too but it doesn’t have a lick of whole grain goodness in it.
Perfect Gluten Free Cinnamon Cake
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill 1 To 1 Flour
- 5 tbsp of unsalted butter softened
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 To 1 Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 room temp. eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup full fat yogurt I used Greek
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter 2 9-in round pans.
- Topping - In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients. Work in butter with a fork, pastry cutter or your clean fingers. It should resemble course crumbs.
- Cake - Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, sugars, yogurt and butter.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients. Mix gently, do not over mix. Batter will be on the thick side.
- Pour into pans and smooth tops with a spatula. Sprinkle the tops with the cinnamon topping.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes rotating halfway through. Check the center with a toothpick. Do not over cook or it will dry out.
- Glaze - Mix the powdered sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add milk until you reach desired consistency. Drizzle over cake when cool. Don't put too much as this is a very sweet cake already!