Salsa Verde Chicken Soup is a quick, weeknight soup that is full of flavor. Using prepared chicken and salsa verde makes it super fast. If you have leftover salsa, I included 14 ways to use it to make weeknight cooking more flavorful.
It seems like a switch has been flipped at my house. The weather is cooler, the days are shorter and we are snuggling under the covers more. I just watched the season premiere of The Walking Dead; that tells me the seasons are changing.
We've started to plan our Halloween costumes and put some thought into where we will spend Thanksgiving. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I even bought my very first Christmas present yesterday. Crazy! I know all year long that Christmas is coming but do I think about it before October? Never!
Did you know there are many out there who have already finished shopping? They planned ahead, shopped sales and can sit back and drink Blood Orange Wine Spritzers while we run around like crazy. I hate them.
In order to give me more time for Christmas shopping, I've prepared a super fast weeknight soup. This Salsa Verde Chicken Soup includes several shortcuts to make your life easier.
First, I used chicken I had roasted earlier in the week. I love to roast a chicken on the weekends and use it throughout the week. It's great to throw on a green salad or in a quesadilla for the kiddos. Feel free to use a rotisserie chicken in this soup.
Also, I used prepared salsa verde. This stuff is amazing. Really, I think you'll love it and may never go back to that red stuff. It has roasted tomatillos, onions, cilantro and lime in it. It tastes fresh and there is a bit of smokey flavor from the roasted tomatillos. If you want to make your own Kate over at Cookie & Kate has a great recipe.
This recipe is endlessly forgiving. Use any canned beans you have in the house and feel free to cut up any veggies you need to get rid of. Carrots and peppers would be great sauteed with the onions. Clean that fridge out.
- with nachos
- on fish tacos
- as a dip for quesadillas
- in chicken enchiladas
- with scrambled eggs
- on the side of this Herbed Skirt Steak or as a marinade for meat
- on a cheeseburger
- in a Mexican dressing
- in black beans
- mix into rice
- on top of Cheesy Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Broccoli
- in Taco Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- in a Mexican Rice Bowl
- on top of a baked potato with cheese
- on top of pork tenderloin
You can easily tweak this recipe to your liking: add fewer beans, more stock or more chicken.
Chicken Soup with Salsa Verde
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 14 oz . cans beans I used 1 pinto and 1 black, rinsed
- 3 cups chicken stock gluten free
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- avocado cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, sour cream, cilantro
- Saute diced onion in 1 tablespoon butter for about 5 min. Add cumin and stir.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil,
- Let simmer on low just until flavors start to marry, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with lots of toppings.
Tell me, have you tried salsa verde yet?