This gorgeous Blueberry Spirulina Smoothie is loaded with wholesome goodness and fresh fruit flavor. The spirulina powder gives it that gorgeous blue color. (vegan, gluten free)
I can't get enough of breakfast smoothies and now that I have discovered spirulina powder I'll be making them every day. This delicious powder adds a nutritional boost but without any taste.
You can add any frozen fruits you want to this smoothie but I do find that pineapple adds a lot of sweetness with a small amount of fruit.
What are the benefits of spirulina powder?
According to WebMD spirulina is a great source of nutrients. It contains a powerful plant-based protein called phycocyanin. Some research shows it may have antioxidant, pain-relief, and anti-inflammatory properties.
This smoothie begins with frozen bananas which help to make it extra thick. Slice some bananas and place them on a sheet pan. Freeze overnight and you'll have a nice stash of frozen bananas for all your smoothie making needs.
Here are some other Smoothie Recipes you may like...
- Cherry Cheesecake Smoothie Bowl
- Green Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberry Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Pomegranate Smoothie Bowl
- Cold Buster Citrus Smoothie
- Pear Smoothie with Kale
Blue Spirulina Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen banana coins
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- 1-2 tablespoon spirulina powder
- Blitz all smoothie ingredients in a high-speed blender. I love my Vitamix! This will be thick, almost like a smoothie bowl. Add more almond milk for a thinner smoothie.