Perfectly soft and tender these Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies will make you swoon. They are easy to make with Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour and loaded with chocolate!
I have been making gluten free chocolate chip cookies for about five years now. I have used every possible combination of gluten free flours and mixes on the planet. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I think I finally have a winner!
These Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft and tender with lots of chocolate in every bite. I love chopping up some of the chocolate chips so you have little bits of chocolatey goodness in every bite.
AND I love adding a little bit of almond flour to all my baked goods like my Blueberry Coffee Cake. This little trick helps cut out some of the grittiness that gluten free flours are notorious for. I promise no one can tell these cookies are gluten free.
My final trick is using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Baking Flour. It already contains xanthan gum so no need to add any extras!
I like to let my batter chill in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes before I scoop them onto the cookie sheet. According to The Kitchn, this allows the fat (the butter) to chill and firm up and it also helps the flour to fully hydrate and soak up the moisture. This will result in a cookie that browns better, cooks more evenly, and has a slightly more complex flavor.
- Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour - I use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour which already contains xanthan gum. In my humble opinion, it is the BEST one to one replacement for all-purpose flour.
- Almond Flour - This adds a hint of nutty flavor and improves the texture of the cookies. If you have a nut allergy, you can leave this out and replace it with more gluten free all-purpose flour.
- Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Salt - Be sure to check the label on your baking powder to ensure that it is gluten free.
- Butter - I always use unsalted room temperature butter when I am baking. If you forget to leave your butter out on the counter, you can microwave it for about 20 seconds, turning it over after 10 seconds. You can also substitute vegan butter if you prefer.
- Granulated Sugar - If you prefer you can use coconut sugar here but it will change the flavor of the cookies.
- Brown Sugar - I love adding brown sugar for some more caramel flavor in the cookies.
- Vanilla - Always use pure vanilla extract because it really does impart more flavor. I prefer Rodelle Vanilla Extract.
- Eggs - Use large room temperature eggs. Just leave them on the counter for 30 minutes or so before you start mixing.
- Chocolate Chips - I always recommend Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips because the flavor cannot be beaten and they are allergy-friendly. You can use chips, mini chips, or chunks in here.
- I always use room temperature unsalted butter. If you forget to set it on the counter you can put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds turning once after 10 seconds.
- Put one cup of the chocolate chips into a blender, food processor, or even your coffee grinder. This makes sweet little slivers of chocolate that cannot be beaten!
- Always preheat your oven, put your rack in the center and rotate once halfway through. My oven is a bit tricky and I only cook one pan of cookies at a time.
- Sometimes if my cookies are too puffed up I'll wack the pan on the counter once and make them fall.
- Let them cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack because they continue to cook on the pan.
- I also love these Gluten Free Cookie Bars.
Gluten free chocolate chips
Gluten Free chocolate chips are fairly easy to find now at all supermarkets. Always check the label to make sure they are marked gluten free if you are sensitive.
- Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips - the best!
- Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - not the white chocolate
- Nestle Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
More gluten free desserts
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup room temperature unsalted butter 2 sticks
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips chopped in food processer or blender
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place rack in middle of oven.
- Whisk first five ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer cream butter, sugars and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add chopped chocolate chips and mix.
- Add flour mixture and mix. Stir in whole chocolate chips.
- Cover and place cookie dough in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to drop cookies onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. After about five minutes take the cookies out and drop the sheet pan on the counter. This makes the cookies which is how I prefer mine. If not, this will puff up a bit.