Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a staple at my house. They are perfectly sweet and comforting when roasted in the oven at high heat. (gluten free, whole30, paleo)
Fall is the perfect time of year to break out the roasted vegetables. Honestly, I'm surprised my kids aren't sick of these by now because it's just about the only way I make veggies nowadays.
There's something about the high heat that really adds a lot of flavor to sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, and even carrots.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
Roasting sweet potatoes could not be more simple.
- preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- cut your sweet potatoes into similar sized cubes (or buy them precut)
- peel or not to peel - that is up to you!
- pour diced sweet potatoes into a mixing bowl and drizzle with three tablespoon of olive oil. Sure you can do this step on the sheet pan but putting it in a bowl assures that every piece is covered in olive oil. Add kosher salt and pepper to taste. (Or use some of the seasoning combos below). Don't be stingy with this!
- toss gently with your hands
- pour onto a sheet pan and do not crowd them, I often split them into two pans so they have room to cook
HOW TO SEASON ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- cumin and chili powder
- cajun spice
- brown sugar and cinnamon
- garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika
- five-spice powder
- jerk seasoning
- chili-lime seasoning from Trader Joe's
I love meal prepping this healthy complex carb on the weekends and adding ½ cup to my lunch salads, grain bowls, and breakfast eggs.
I prefer high-quality carbs like sweet potatoes, quinoa, legumes, and gluten free oats.
Complex carbs are better for you than simple carbs (cake, bread, soda, cereal) because they take longer to break down in the body and keep you fuller for longer. They usually contain a healthy serving of fiber too.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SWEET POTATOES
- Sweet potatoes are high in fiber which can help promote healthy digestion.
- They are loaded with antioxidants
- Rich in beta-carotene (for eye health)
- satisfying sweet flavor helps me stave off hunger
HAVE YOU HAD SWEET POTATO TOAST YET? It's so satisfying especially when topped with a runny fried egg.
OR You could make Sweet Potato Fries!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 ½ lbs cubed sweet potatoes
- 3-4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pour cubed sweet potatoes into a medium mixing bowl and add olive oil, salt, and pepper, Toss gently with hands ensuring that all potatoes have oil on them.
- Pour potatoes onto a sheet pan and make sure they are laid out into a single layer for even cooking. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Give them a quick stir about halfway through.
- Add additional seasoning if desired.