This summery Strawberry Mint Smash cocktail will get you in the mood for warm weather. It's sweet, minty, gorgeous and ready in 5 minutes!
With Memorial Day right around the corner, I'm dreaming of all the delicious recipes I can make with strawberries, like this Strawberry Mint Smash. Of course, we can get strawberries all season but they just aren't as good as the ones available in the summer. They are perfectly red throughout with no tasteless white in the middle. When they are extra juicy they make the best summery cocktails. Muddling all that goodness in the bottom of the glass will give you a dreamy flavorful mixture that really makes this cocktail.
The twists on this drink are endless; try it with rum or bourbon. Put whatever fruit and fresh herbs you have available. Add a bit of sweetness from honey, agave or sugar and you have yourself a hit.
You'll Love This Cocktail Because It's...
- versatile - try it with different alcohols, fruits, and sweeteners
- made with fresh fruit
- ready in 5 minutes
- Strawberries - While you technically can make this cocktail any time of the year, I love using the extra juicy strawberries during the summer months.
- Honey - Adds a touch of flavor and sweetness, unlike simple syrup which just adds sweetness to drinks.
- Mint leaves - The mint leaves have to be muddled in order to extract the flavor.
- Lime juice - Lime juice helps add an acidic bite to prevent the strawberry's sweetness from overpowering the drink.
- Vodka - You can also try rum or bourbon.
- Seltzer or club soda - Keeps the cocktail light and effervescent.
How to Make the Cocktail
Put the strawberries, mint and honey in a cocktail shaker or glass. Muddle well.
Add the lime juice, vodka and ice. Shake well.
Rub a piece of lime along the rim of the serving glass and dip in sugar.
Put 3 or 4 ice cubes in a glass and pour cocktail over it. Top with club soda or seltzer.
So set up your outdoor bar, invite the neighbors over, and have a Memorial Day cookout. Keep it easy with some Pineapple Grilled Chicken Skewers and a huge Eat Your Greens Quinoa Salad. Make sure when your guests arrive that you hand them a Strawberry Mint Smash, then sit back and relax in your favorite Adirondack chair.
- Make sure to muddle (or tear) the mint leaves in order to maximize all of that minty flavor in your drink.
- You can make this drink non-alcoholic (for the kids!) by using lemonade instead of bourbon.
- Muddling drinks is a lot of work! Have your guests join in on the fun and muddle their own drinks.
Craving cocktails? Try these ones too!
- Limoncello Spritzer
- Blackberry Vodka Mojito
- Mint Limeade Mojito in Seconds
- Strawberry Lime Gin Rickey
- Cherry Margaritas
- Watermelon Margaritas
Strawberry Mint Smash
- 4-5 ripe strawberries sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon honey adjust to taste
- 5-7 mint leaves
- juice of half a lime
- 1 oz vodka
- seltzer or club soda to taste
- lime strawberries and mint for garnish
- Put the strawberries, mint and honey in the bottom of a cocktail shaker or glass. Muddle well with the bottom of a wooden spoon.
- Add the lime juice, vodka and ice. Shake well in a cocktail shaker.
- Rub a piece of lime along the rim of the serving glass and dip in sugar.
- Put 3 or 4 ice cubes in a glass and pour cocktail over it. If you were using a glass to mix, you will have to strain it. Top with club soda or seltzer.