Time to dust off those grills and get outdoors. Try these Pineapple Grilled Chicken Skewers for a healthy, gluten-free dish at your next cookout. The marinade has only 4 ingredients.
This may be my favorite new recipe. It was inspired by a recent trip to Trader Joe’s. I always find some new little gem there. This time the pineapple juice was prominently displayed and they were handing out samples of chicken taquitos with pineapple salsa. Yum! I bought all of the above and came home looking for a way to use pineapple juice as a chicken marinade. The pineapple salsa made an awesome dip for my chicken skewers and tortilla chips.
Chicken skewers can be difficult to get right. I mean, they look easy enough, chicken on a stick, but if you have ever had overcooked chicken then you know what I’m talking about. It’s not as easy as throwing some chicken breasts on a stick and cooking them over hot coals. Here’s how to make sure you get them right…
- Use chicken thighs because they are juicer and have more flavor.
- Trim fat from the chicken thighs.
- Marinate at least several hours and overnight is best.
- Put lemons or some other fruit in between chicken pieces. It helps the chicken cook on all sides and imparts more flavor.
- Let it rest for five minutes after taking it off the grill. This will help the juices redistribute.
- If the chicken sticks to the grill it’s not ready to be turned so leave it alone for another minute or two. Do not walk away from the grill and get distracted.
- Serve with salsa or dip on the side.
This is a no fail Memorial Day recipe for your cookout so go ahead, call the neighbors and clean off that side porch. Get that chicken marinating and buy some paper plates. This chicken would be great served with a side of Mango and Jicama Slaw or Quinoa Tabbouleh With Kale. Be prepared to impress your neighbors with healthy, delicious and gluten free treats for the start of summer weekend.
Pineapple Grilled Chicken Skewers
- 1/2 cup tamari or regular soy sauce is fine gluten free soy sauce
- 1/2 cup 100 percent pineapple juice Trader Joe's
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 chicken thighs trimmed of fat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 or 2 lemons thinly sliced
- cilantro for garnish
- 4 or 5 skewers if wooden soak in water for 30 minutes
Trim the chicken thighs of all fat and cut into one inch pieces.
Whisk together first six ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
Put chicken into a plastic bag and top with marinade. Place in refrigerator overnight or for at least one hour.
Thread chicken on skewers alternately with thinly sliced pieces of lemon. Discard marinade.
Place on a hot grill for about 6-8 minutes on the first side. Flip over and cook until done or until an instant read thermometer reaches 175 degrees about 6 - 8 more minutes. Watch closely.