This Gluten-Free Chocolate Cashew Mug Cake is the perfect sweet treat when those chocolate cravings hit. You can't overeat it so go for it. Easy to prepare, easy to clean up and easy to enjoy without all the guilt!
Am I the only one who craves chocolate...like every day? Seriously, I can't walk by the pantry without grabbing a handful of Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips. It's a problem. Somehow I feel like the calories don't count if I'm standing up and eating them. I know I need a food journal but that scares the heck out of me. If I really wrote down what I ate every day - I'd be shocked...
- crust of Jack's peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- leftover chicken tender from Evan's after school snack
- small serving of leftover chocolate protein smoothie from Maddie's breakfast
- 5 handfuls of Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
- 4 tortilla chips while standing in pantry
Like I said, I just can't do it. These extras probably add up to an entire meal each day!
Needless to say, I do have to fulfill my chocolate craving now and then and sugar-free chocolate pudding is not going to cut it. I need something fresh and full of protein to really satisfy me. If I don't opt for a Honeycrisp apple with cashew butter, I'll turn to this easy Gluten-Free Chocolate Cashew Mug Cake. My kids love it and I don't feel bad letting them have it. It's way better for them than store bought cookies or granola bars. I've taught them how to make it and they can all three make it on their own. Be careful with the microwave cooking because this dish is hot when it comes out. I suggest you cook with them and remove it from the microwave yourself.
Who knew that using pantry staples you could whip up a "satisfy your chocolate craving cake" that is somewhat healthy and gluten-free? It's true and you are welcome!
I will admit that it may not be as moist as some of the full-size cakes I make, but it serves its' purpose which is to keep me from eating 12 different things while trying to satisfy a craving. I love it served with berries and my kids eat it with vanilla ice cream.
If you don't like cashew butter, substitute almond or peanut butter. I have been obsessed with cashew butter from Trader Joe's for the last few weeks. You can see it here in my Chocolate Cashew Energy Balls. If you looking for more single serving sweets try this Gluten Free Single Serve Chocolate Chip Cookie. After all, bathing suit season begins in a few weeks. Sorry, but I to mention it in case you forgot.
Did I mention this Gluten-Free Chocolate Cashew Mug Cake is ready in two minutes?
Need More Gluten Free Cake in Your Life?
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- Gluten Free Banana Snack Cake
- Gluten Free Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Gluten Free Chocolate Sheet Cake
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cashew Mug Cake
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon cashew butter almond or peanut would also work
- 1 tablespoon Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Flour or regular flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spray a ramekin with cooking spray and pour batter in.
- Cook in the microwave for 30 seconds and check.
- Cook for up to another 30 seconds. It will puff up but you don't want to overcook it and microwave ovens vary.
- Top with berries or ice cream.
Mary Ann @ thebeachhousekitchen
Food journal?? Uh, that would be a "NO" for me too! But this mug cake is definitely a "YES" Karen! I love mug cakes because you're right, they satisfy a quick craving and you don't have an entire cake laying around to tempt you! Perfect!
Thanks Mary Ann. Have a great weekend!
Gorgeous! Can't wait to try it.
Thanks Laura! Great to see you here!
Hi Karen, I so know your pain! A food journal would be a really scary thing! I especially like the one you started in your post above.? LOL Mine would look very similar. I'm not sure why I think all my handfuls of chips or a piece of bacon don't really count toward my daily calorie intake. Maybe it's because I don't use a plate and I'm standing up?? Anyway, this gluten-free chocolate cashew mug cake would solve all my problems...eat something healthy and satisfy all my cravings! Delicious!
Thanks, Holly! You make me feel better about sharing my embarrassing eating habits. Have a great weekend!