This instant pot chicken tortilla soup is gluten-free and loaded with spicy flavors and tender shredded chicken. It’s a hearty, flavorful soup that’s packed with nutritious ingredients and can be ready in under 30 minutes! Plus, the leftovers taste great for the next day!
This delicious chicken tortilla soup is made in an instant pot, making it perfect for busy weeknights or casual get-togethers. But it’s not only a time-saver but a real crowd-pleaser too! The flavors are savory, spicy, and hearty, making it a hit with just about everyone. It’s the perfect way to warm yourself up during the cold winter months.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s the perfect blend of of convenience and flavor. The instant pot does most of the work, allowing the ingredients to meld together into a spicy, savory soup that's sure to satisfy. The black beans, corn, fire-roasted tomatoes, and chicken broth come together for a wholesome gluten-free soup that’s packed with flavor.
Plus, the soup looks absolutely incredible. The vibrant colors from the corn, tomatoes, and cilantro good great and the shredded cheddar cheese, dollop of sour cream, and diced avocado add a creamy, tangy twist. And let’s not forget the delicious crunch from the tortilla chips that ties everything together and perfectly complements the soup’s richness.
This is super easy to make because I usually have all these ingredients on hand in my pantry. The kids love adding toppings like cheese, sour cream and avocado. Okay, they don't eat the avocado but I do!
Every spoonful is the perfect combination of spicy, savory goodness making this a soup your family will request time and again. It’s the perfect combination of flavors that’ll definitely make your day. Try this recipe and you’ll know exactly what I mean.
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Quick and Easy: This instant pot chicken tortilla soup is super easy to make. With a prep time of just a few minutes and a total cook time of under half an hour, you'll have a warm, comforting meal ready in no time.
- Gluten-Free: This soup is a great option for those following a gluten-free diet. It is loaded with wholesome ingredients like Harris Teeter Organic Black Beans, Corn, Fire Roasted Tomatoes, and Chicken Broth, all of which are naturally gluten-free.
- Simple Ingredients: This recipe calls for simple, easy-to-find ingredients. Many of them, like the spices and canned goods, you may already have in your pantry. Plus, Harris Teeter's organic products ensure that you're feeding your family the best.
- Family-Friendly: This soup is a definite crowd-pleaser. It’s hearty, flavorful, and can be easily customized with toppings like cheese, sour cream, and avocado to suit everyone's tastes. Plus, it makes for great leftovers the next day.
- Versatile: It is not just delicious, it is also vibrant and versatile. You can adjust the spice level to your liking, and serve it with a variety of toppings. It is perfect for a casual family dinner or for entertaining guests.
- Beginner-Friendly: With its straightforward instructions and use of the instant pot, this recipe is ideal for those new to cooking. It is practically foolproof, yet the end result is a flavorful, satisfying soup that'll make you feel like a pro in the kitchen.
Making this instant pot chicken tortilla soup is simple, thanks to the easily accessible ingredients. You'll find all the items on your grocery list at your local store, and some may already be sitting in your pantry!
- Black Beans: These beans add a hearty touch to the soup, providing both texture and a wonderful source of protein. They're also a great source of fiber, making this soup even more filling.
- Corn: Corn brings a pop of sweetness and color to the soup, while also adding some extra texture.
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes: These tomatoes lend a smoky depth of flavor to the soup, making it even more delicious. Plus, they're packed with beneficial antioxidants.
- Chicken Broth: This forms the flavorful, savory backbone of the soup. It also helps in tenderizing the chicken, making it super succulent.
- Onion: Onions add an aromatic flavor that forms the perfect backdrop for the other ingredients.
- Garlic: Garlic infuses the soup with a wonderful aroma and a slightly spicy flavor that compliments the other ingredients.
- Chili Powder, Cumin, and Paprika: These spices are what give the soup its signature spicy kick. They also contribute to the soup's vibrant color.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast: This is the protein-packed star of the show. It is cooked until tender and then shredded, adding a deliciously satisfying element to every spoonful.
- Salt and Pepper: These basic seasonings enhance the flavors of the other ingredients, making the soup even more delicious.
- Chopped Cilantro: Cilantro adds a burst of fresh, herby flavor that perfectly complements the spicy, savory elements of the soup.
- Cheese, Sour Cream, Avocado (Optional): These toppings add a creamy, cooling contrast to the soup's spicy flavors. They also add an extra layer of texture and taste.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Here's a simple way to make a hearty and flavorful instant pot chicken tortilla soup. For more detailed instructions and nutrition facts, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Start Sauteing: Turn your instant pot to saute and drizzle in some olive oil. Toss in your diced onion and garlic and saute for about three minutes.
Add Remaining Ingredients: Switch off your Instant Pot and add all other ingredients, including the whole chicken breasts. Stir everything together, switch the pot to High, and set the timer for seven minutes. Secure the lid and lock it.
Release Pressure and Shred Chicken: Allow the pressure to release naturally for about twelve minutes, then carefully remove the lid. Take out the chicken breasts, place them on a cutting board, and shred them using two forks. Then, return the shredded chicken to the pot.
Final Stir and Taste: Give your soup a good stir and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
Serve with Toppings: Serve your soup with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, a handful of tortilla chips, and some diced avocado. Enjoy!
- Vegetarian Version: To transform this instant pot chicken tortilla soup into a vegetarian version, simply skip the chicken and add more of your favorite veggies such as bell peppers or zucchini. Don't forget to replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth to keep it truly vegetarian!
- Bean Boost: If you're a fan of beans, try adding another can of your favorite type - kidney beans or pinto beans would work great. They will not only enhance the flavor but also increase the protein content of the soup.
- Spice It Up: If you love a kick in your soup, increase the chili powder or add a diced jalapeno. This will definitely heat things up and make your soup even more flavorful.
- Grains: For an extra hearty version of this soup, add a cup of cooked quinoa or rice. This will make the soup more filling and add an interesting texture.
- Add Greens: Add a handful of baby spinach or kale at the end of cooking for a nutrient boost. The greens will wilt in the hot soup, adding a pop of color and loads of healthy vitamins.
Preparing a hearty and delicious instant pot chicken tortilla soup doesn't have to be a daunting task. These helpful tips will guide you to create a flavorful, gluten-free meal your family will love.
- Use Organic Ingredients: The quality of your ingredients plays a significant role in the outcome of your dish. Using Harris Teeter organic black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, and chicken broth will guarantee a wholesome, flavorful soup.
- Sauté Onion and Garlic: Sautéing the onion and garlic in olive oil before adding other ingredients helps to release their flavors, providing a deeper taste profile to your soup.
- Season Generously: Don't skimp on the chili powder, cumin, and paprika. These spices add a wonderful depth of flavor and a hint of heat to your soup.
- Natural Pressure Release: Allowing the instant pot to release pressure naturally for about twelve minutes helps to lock in the flavors and ensures the chicken is tender and easy to shred.
- Adjust Seasoning: After the soup is cooked, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Adding more salt and pepper can help to enhance the flavors of your soup.
- Garnish to Enhance Flavors: Serving the soup with chopped cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, and diced avocado adds an extra layer of flavor and texture, making your soup even more enjoyable.
This instant pot chicken tortilla soup recipe is already gluten-free, making it a great choice for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease. However, if you're following a vegan, dairy-free, paleo, whole30, or keto diet, you might need to make a few adjustments. Let's look at how you can adapt this recipe to suit your dietary needs:
- To Make This Recipe Vegan and Dairy-Free: To make this recipe vegan and dairy-free, simply replace the chicken with a plant-based protein like tofu or chickpeas. You'll also need to use a vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth. Omit the optional cheese and sour cream, or use vegan alternatives.
- To Make This Recipe Paleo and Whole30 Compatible: This recipe is almost Paleo and Whole30 compliant. You'll just need to omit the corn and beans, as these are not allowed on these diets. You can replace them with more veggies, like bell peppers or zucchini.
- To Make This Recipe Keto Friendly: To make this soup keto-friendly, you'll need to reduce the number of carbs. You can do this by omitting the corn and beans, and using a lower-carb vegetable like zucchini or spinach instead.
- To Refrigerate: You can store the leftover instant pot chicken tortilla soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three to four days. This soup tastes even better the next day as the flavors meld together beautifully.
- To Freeze: Unfortunately, this particular soup does not freeze well due to the tender shredded chicken and the spicy flavors. Freezing could alter the texture and taste of the soup, so it is best to enjoy it fresh or refrigerated.
- To Reheat: If you've stored the soup in the refrigerator, simply reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until it is warmed through. You can also use the microwave, but be sure to stir it frequently to guarantee even heating. Enjoy this gluten-free, family-friendly meal anytime!
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of chicken is best for this instant pot chicken tortilla soup?
For this recipe, boneless, skinless chicken breasts are recommended. They cook quickly and can be easily shredded, providing a great texture for the soup.
Can I use a different type of beans?
Absolutely! While this recipe calls for Harris Teeter Organic Black Beans, you can substitute with any type of beans you prefer or have on hand. Just make sure to rinse them before adding to the pot.
What can I use if I don't have an Instant Pot?
If you don't have an Instant Pot, you can make this soup on the stovetop. You'll need to adjust the cooking time and may need to add more broth or water as it will evaporate during the longer cooking time.
Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
Yes, to make this soup vegetarian, you can substitute the chicken with extra beans or tofu and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
What kind of spices are used in this recipe?
This recipe uses chili powder, cumin, and paprika for a flavorful and slightly spicy soup. Feel free to adjust the amounts to suit your taste.
This instant pot chicken tortilla soup is a hearty and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Here are some serving suggestions to help you make the most of this delightful soup:
- Salads: This soup pairs beautifully with a refreshing salad. Try serving it alongside a tangy marinated tomato basil salad, grilled tomato salad with feta and basil salad, or a gluten-free pasta salad.
- Mains: Use this soup as a warm and comforting starter to mains like roast chicken, instant pot beef and broccoli, or some grilled steak tacos.
- Sides: Complement the robust flavors of the soup with sides like gluten-free corn casserole, roasted sweet potatoes, or roasted mini potatoes.
- Perfect Side For Sandwiches: The soup makes a great companion to sandwiches. Serve it with a slow cooker barbecue pork sandwich, a tuna salad collard wrap, or even a classic BLT with a gluten-free twist.
- Appetizer: Serve this soup as an appetizer to a Mexican-themed dinner party. It is a great way to warm up your guests' palates for the main course.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 15 oz can Harris Teeter Organic Black Beans, rinsed
- 1 15 oz can Harris Teeter Organic Corn
- 1 14.5 oz can Harris Teeter Organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 32 oz box Harris Teeter Organic Chicken Broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- cheese, sour cream, avocado (optional)
- Turn Instant Pot to saute and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add diced onion and garlic and saute for three minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot off and add all other ingredients including whole chicken breasts. Give it a stir and turn pot to High and set timer for 7 minutes. Place the lid on and lock it.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 12 minutes or so then carefully remove lid. Remove chicken breasts to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Return to pot.
- Stir soup and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and diced avocado.