This Marinated Tomato Salad is full of fresh flavor and can be used in so many ways as a side dish or a topping for chicken, beef or fish. Trust me, you'll be eating this all summer long. (gluten free, vegan, dairy free, paleo, whole 30}
If you are anything like me you have been waiting for tomato season all year. There's nothing like warm, fresh picked tomatoes off the vine.
Wish I could say these were from my garden but alas I am a failure at gardening. I have a small garden this year with cucumbers, tomatoes, and zucchini but no vegetables to speak of. I guess there's still hope, so we shall see.
Do I get points for growing this basil? Woo hoo!
This lovely Marinated Tomato Basil Salad can be eaten alone or as a side dish and is perfect for a potluck, block party, or Fourth of July bash. OR you can add it to simple weeknight dinners to make them extra special.
Here are some of my favorite ways to eat this salad...
- on top of grilled fish
- as a cheeseburger topping
- on top of my Grilled Chicken Souvlaki
- perfect on top of a steak, add blue cheese for extra goodness
- use as a filling for tacos or burritos with leftover chicken
- add to your favorite lettuce for a quick salad
- use as a topping for ricotta or avocado toast
- put it on a fried egg
- other fun mix-ins; feta, blue cheese, cucumber, olives, chickpeas, lentils or corn
Make a double batch so you have leftovers!
So get out there and enjoy summer while it lasts. EAT FRESH every day!
Marinated Tomato Basil Salad
- 3 cups grape and cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tbsp coconut vinegar balsamic style (or regular balsamic vinegar)
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chopped basil
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, oregano, and salt.
- Put tomatoes in a medium sized bowl and pour dressing over top. Add basil and toss gently. Put the lid on or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- Toss gently. Add more salt if necessary and serve.
Adapted from Allrecipes.