This Five Ingredient Caprese Chicken is super fast and only uses pantry staples. It’s healthy, gluten-free and kid-friendly.
Did you know that McDonald’s burgers only contain 13% beef? Did you know they use ammonia to disinfect the beef?
These are quotes from my curious nine-year-old who says he will never eat at McDonald’s again. Okay, maybe just the fries he says.
I’m not sure what got him on this kick but he has been watching all sorts of videos about the pink slime that goes into the chicken nuggets and watching how they make the hamburgers. Not sure I could sleep at night after watching that. We try to avoid McDonald’s at all costs. At least he’s finding a constructive way to use his summer downtime.
So in an effort to avoid fast food on those busy nights – you need Five Ingredient Friday meals like this Five Ingredient Chicken Caprese.
It uses simple ingredients that you should have in your pantry and fridge each week. Even my kids ate it after removing the tomato and that green stuff. They will eat tomatoes but not when they are on the chicken. (weirdos!)
I almost always pound my chicken thin. It cooks quicker and has a better texture. I hate biting into a super thick piece of chicken breast! This way you get a nice combo of chicken, cheese, and tomato in each bite. Always cut off the fat if you want your kids to eat it.
I used balsamic syrup from Trader Joe’s but you can easily make your own by boiling a cup of balsamic vinegar and then letting it reduce at a simmer. You can use this on everything! I love it on this Easy Balsamic Chicken too.
Five Ingredient Caprese Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or goat cheese
- 1/2 cup balsamic syrup
- 2 tbsp basil
- salt and pepper
- Start by pounding your chicken breasts thin between two pieces of plastic wrap. Trim off any fat.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high.
- Salt and pepper chicken breasts on both sides and place in hot skillet. Cook for about 4-6 minutes per side depending on how thick they are. You want to get some good browning on each side.
- When chicken is cooked through drizzle with the balsamic syrup, top with the mozzarella and tomato. Turn off heat, put lid on and let the cheese melt for a minute of two.
- Serve with more balsamic syrup if desired. Top with basil. I like lots!