These Salmon Tostadas are healthy, gluten free and easy to put together. You can add any fresh, seasonal toppers that you like.
Happy Friday guys! Can you believe we only have four more days of school? Are you one of those parents who is happy about that? No more rushing around in the morning, packing lunches, doing homework, etc. Or are you stressed? I love that we have less activities and we can relax and go on vacation but I worry. Are my kids going to play too many video games? Are they going to fight? (Well, duh.) Are we ever going to complete our summer workbooks? Do I have enough camps planned? Do I have too many? Calgon take me away.
No more worries. It will be the best summer ever. We are going to be in the kitchen cooking together and jumping off the high dive with no fear. We will wear sunscreen everyday and weed the yard without complaining. In fact, we may even learn how to do our own laundry (including folding and putting away). We will do art projects at the kitchen table and ride our bikes around the hood freely. We will make our own dinner, at least one night of the week…like these Salmon Tostadas.
I’ve been on a major Mexican food kick lately. It’s so easy and fresh. Tostadas are an essential in my pantry. There are an endless list of toppings that you can pile on: grilled shrimp, skirt steak, pork or chicken, cheese, pico de gallo, beans, lettuce, slaw, guacamole, sour cream or tomatoes. They are a blank slate for whatever leftovers you have in the fridge. Embrace the tostada!
These tostadas are topped with the freshest of seasonal ingredients: mango, avocado, slaw, radishes, black beans and cilantro. My kids love tostadas and top theirs with ground beef, cheese, salsa and the more daring ones add lettuce. It’s basically a flat taco shell so treat it as such and top with anything you would put in a taco. It makes a quick midweek meal that will be a hit with the kids.
In order to make the salmon I used a favorite new find – grill toppers. They keep the salmon or other flaky fish from falling through the grates and best of all, you can toss them when finished. I bought mine at Wegmans but you can find them at Amazon as well. They are also great for making this Grilled Peach Salad With Mint Dressing. Happy Weekend!
- 1 salmon filet mine was 3/4 pound
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup canned black beans rinsed and smashed with back of a fork
- 1 avocado sliced and sprinkled with lime juice
- 1 mango cubed
- radishes chopped small
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 package premade slaw mix I used a broccoli slaw with carrots
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all spices together and sprinkle on salmon. Drizzle salmon with a bit of olive oil.
- Heat grill to medium. Put on grill skin side down. Cook for about 5 minutes per side until done.
- Toss all coleslaw ingredients together and set aside.
- Warm tostadas carefully on top rack of grill, not on hot side.
- Assemble tostadas by spreading the mashed black beans on the bottom. Top with coleslaw, then salmon pieces ending with mango and avocado. Sprinkle with cilantro and more lime juice.