This Creamy Chicken and Corn Soup with Bacon is loaded with fresh vegetables and crisp bacon. Cooking the vegetables in a little bacon fat gives them extra pop. Make a big batch of this and freeze one for next week! (gluten free)
Hope your school year is off to a great start! We are easing into the routine here and getting super busy. Gone are the long summer days at the pool and late nights out by the fire. The pace has quickly changed.
It’s okay, we are ready to switch to football games, hayrides, and Honeycrisp apples. Get them, people, because they don’t last long! Speaking of apples, I just tried the new Autumn Crisp apples. Delicious!
As the weather gets cooler we start to crave warming soups like this Creamy Chicken and Corn Soup with Bacon. My kids aren’t big soup people because they don’t like everything mixed together. They can quickly and easily pick out an ingredient they don’t like…and with an eagle eye, they dig them out. Thanks, guys!
They love the bacon topping on this one and the creamy flavorful broth that comes together. I like this one because it straddles the end of summer and beginning of fall. You can use fresh corn which we still have in abundance here but I was being lazy.
You can use fresh corn which we still have in abundance here but I was being lazy. I love the frozen fire roasted corn from Whole Foods. The corn is full of flavor and great for Mexican dishes, tacos, burritos, quesadillas and this Creamy Chicken and Corn Soup with Bacon. I always have some in my fridge.
This soup is warm, soothing and oh so creamy. Make a big batch for the weekend and plop yourself in front of the TV. Even better, make a double batch and be happy that dinner is made for next Tuesday or whenever you pull it out of the freezer!
Creamy Chicken and Corn Soup with Bacon
- 4 pieces bacon
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups fire roasted corn, thawed
- 3 cups chicken stock (I use Kitchen Basics)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat a dutch oven over medium high heat and cook bacon until it is crispy. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
- Leave 1-2 tbsp bacon grease in the pan and add chopped onion, carrots and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes until onions start to get translucent. Your carrots will have to be thinly sliced in order to cook through.
- Add chicken stock to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook just until carrots are tender. Add chicken, kale and milk.
- Top with bacon and serve. If you prefer a thicker soup you can whisk a tablespoon of gluten free flour into the milk before you add it to soup. Salt and pepper to taste.
Note: If you need this to be gluten free, make sure your chicken stock is gluten free.
Adapted from Cooking Light.