This simple and flavorful Spicy Tomato Soup is perfect for the cool winter months. A little smokey spice makes a big difference in this bowl of goodness. (gluten free, dairy free)
It's amazing how comforting a simple bowl of warm soup can be. It brings back warm and fuzzy memories for me! Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches were a regular on our family menu when I was growing up. Sometimes it was even Sunday dinner!
This Spicy Tomato Soup is loaded with antioxidants and a great way to start the year off with a bang. I love adding spices like cumin (basically to everything) and some red pepper flakes to give it a kick. If I had my way I would add more spices but gotta feed the kids I guess.
Ingredients for Spicy Tomato Soup
- olive oil
- can of whole peeled tomatoes
- red pepper flakes
- grilled cheese 🙂 (optional)
As you can clearly see these are pantry staples. I suggest you keep this super simple recipe at the ready for those nights when you are exhausted and you just don't know what to cook.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
- Tortellini Soup with Sausage
- Fall Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sausage and Bean Soup
- Acorn Squash Soup with Turmeric
[web_stories_embed url="https://www.seasonalcravings.com/web-stories/spicy-tomato-soup/" title="Spicy Tomato Soup" poster="https://www.seasonalcravings.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/tomato-soup-3.jpg" width="360" height="600" align="none"]
Spicy Tomato Soup
- 1 onion diced small
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes less or more to taste
- 1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes in juices
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth for vegan, gluten free
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional, avoid if keto, whole30 or paleo
- Place olive oil in a dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for about 7-8 minutes or until onions soften.
- Add cumin and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring for one minute.
- Add tomatoes and juices, chicken broth, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Bring to a low boil then reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, blend soup in a blender until smooth or use an immersion blender. Be careful when blending hot liquids!
- Serve immediately with grilled cheese and bacon for garnish.